ARC SPC Shale POWER Mini-Grant Program
Funding Availability, Program Eligibility
The ARC SPC Shale POWER Mini-grant Program is a grant program funded by the Appalachian Regional Commission to primary recipient Southwestern Pennsylvania Commissionand administered by Catalyst Connection in partnership with the JARI, OHMEP and WVMEP. The Shale POWER Mini-grant is designed to assist coal impacted community’s response to negative economic factors by diversifying and growing small and medium sized manufacturers through strategic efforts to build capacity, improve efficiencies and demand locally, stimulate job creation, and drive economic impact.
We are looking for a Shale Industry expert to develop training curriculum and provide services in Research, Education and Business Development for manufacturing companies associated with ARC Shale POWER program. If interested, please review details in the Request for Proposal (RFP) and the Questions and Answers document. All proposals are due no later than March 13, 2020.
Applicants may request a grant up to 50% of the total advanced manufacturing technology project cost from a minimum of $1,000 up to a maximum of $5,000. Awards will be made on a first come, first served basis with priority given to first time applicants. Mini-grant dollars may be used to support direct, project-related consulting costs, contracted services, software purchases, supplies, and one-time costs related to the implementation of advanced manufacturing technology cost.
Applicants requesting mini-grant assistance through this program must meet all of the criteria listed below to be eligible for funding consideration:
- Be a privately held small to medium sized manufacturer located within ARC’s 35 eligible counties of Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. (Small-medium sized manufacturers are defined as those having less than 500 employees per location, and registered in D&B with a NAICS code beginning with 31-33 or a testing laboratory, with NAICS code 541380.)
- Have completed a technical assessment and assistance process by Catalyst Connection, JARI, OHMEP or WVMEP.
- Have a clearly defined and ready advanced technology or improvement project which aligns with the recommendations resulting from the technical assessment and assistance process.
- Provide at least a 50% match to total project cost. Applicants must be able to cover the total project costs until grant reimbursement is issued. Grant reimbursement requires an invoice accompanied by proof of payment documentation equivalent to the total project costs including match. Vendor invoices with corresponding cancelled checks documenting payment are required for reimbursement.
- Initiate the project no earlier than February 15, 2020 and complete implementation with company payment of the total project costs by December 31, 2021
- Participate in post-award surveying (currently an annual MEP Client Questionnaire) to collect information on project status, economic impacts, and other information as requested.
- The complete guidelines for the ARC SPC Shale POWER Mini-Grants can be found in this document.
Grant funds are for the implementation of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT). AMT is the use of new process/materials to do things faster, cheaper and with higher quality results. This can include technologies for continuous improvement and leveraging access to high speed internet to reach new customers or markets, receive orders, collaborate on new designs, share information, track orders, and/or monitor equipment and productivity. It can also include technologies to manage risks such as cyber threats, as well as disruptive technologies such as additive manufacturing.
The following are examples of the types of projects which are not eligible for grant funding:
- Projects which are solely focused on training, instead of project implementation.
- Purchase of equipment (items with a value > $5,000 and a useful life of longer than one year).
- Purchase of marketing/advertising and/or relocation services.
If you interested in learning more and to confirm your eligibility, contact us today!